OREM – Orem officers have arrested a man on suspicion of attempted murder after he reportedly beat a woman in her own basement.
Police say the victim heard a noise coming from the basement of her home and went to check it out. Orem Police Lieutenant Craig Martinez says she tried to fight off a man who broke in through her window, but, he attacked her with a PVC pipe until she was knocked out.
Martinez says, “When you hit somebody with a PVC pipe and causing some trauma and the [victim] is rendered unconscious, that’s attempted murder.”
When the victim came to, Martinez says she ran to a neighbor’s home and asked for help. The suspect, Rodolfo Villalobos, Jr. was caught shortly after a few blocks away.
“A passer-by saw this guy taking off from the area, and, when she saw a marked police car, she put two and two together and pointed in the direction she saw the man run,” Martinez says, adding, “We took him into custody. He resisted and made some comments of, ‘Call me an attorney or kill me.’”
However, officers weren’t sure who they arrested, at first. Martinez says Villalobos refused to identify himself and wouldn’t initially agree to fingerprints.
Today’s Top Stories
- ‘I just wanted to be better’: Utah woman details experience with heroin addiction
- How someone’s pet goldfish destroyed an entire ecosystem at Maple Lake
- Mom has warning for others after getting scary phone call
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- The original Gerber Baby just turned 93
- What happened? Anatomy of a violent NASCAR crash
- After deadly ambush, Sen. Mike Lee talks striking back at Mexican drug cartels
- Hostage situation in Tooele ends with fatal officer-involved shooting
- Growing up poor changes DNA, scientists find
- Home prices increase in Salt Lake City during the pandemic