WEST VALLEY CITY – A nationwide human trafficking sweep lands a Utah man behind bars. Federal agents say prostitution is a growing problem in this state.
During Operation Cross Country, 120 traffickers were arrested, and 84 underage prostitutes were contacted and offered services to help them out of prostitution. One of the alleged traffickers is Roger Jessop, who was arrested in West Valley after he was reportedly contacted by an undercover FBI agent pretending to be looking for sex. Assistant Special Agent In Charge Daniel Brady says, “There were also seven women engaged in prostitution that were contacted and offered services.” Those women were reportedly working for themselves, and not Jessop.
Brady says they conduct prostitution stings year round, but, they like to have one large effort every year to show how big online prostitution is becoming. “[Traffickers] are taking a lot of steps to advertise their services. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take a lot of effort online to find out where to go,” Brady says
He adds that many people in Utah believe this kind of prostitution isn’t a large problem in Utah, but, Salt Lake City is becoming a more popular destination for sex trafficking. Brady says the Johns here have a reputation. “I prefer to call them ‘clients,’ are very polite, friendly and they pay.” In other parts of the country, clients are known to be more violent and more likely to avoid paying.
Today’s Top Stories
- Winter solstice 2019: A short day that’s long on ancient traditions
- No school for kids at one Utah school, courtesy of a garbage fire
- Bill merging Health and Human Services with UDOH passes committee
- Planning to watch election results? It may take a while.
- Utah woman says bison flipped her into air, broke her ankle
- Lay Kou- Southland Elementary
- Inside Sources: How criminals, addicts and homeless transform their lives free of charge
- Misdemeanor trial date set for Lori Vallow Daybell
- Jared Nicol, Hildale council member, jailed on suspicion of stalking
- UDOT going forward with West Davis Corridor