An LDS Bishop killed in Ohio is being remembered by Utahns as well for his service and friendship.
Authorities say Tim Watabe was with his Boy Scout troop rappelling at Hocking Hills State Park on Saturday, when he fell and was pronounced dead on the scene.
“The very fact that it was a Boy Scout activity shows how he was always serving,” said Logan resident Barry Hemline, who met Watabe at BYU in the mid-90s and remained friends.
Hemline says tributes are coming in from Utah, California, Japan and Ohio.
“It’s classic Tim, even in passing, he draws people together,” said Hemline.
Funeral arrangements are pending. Watabe had a wife and four children.
The GoFundMe page is here
Today’s Top Stories
- UDOT: Expect delays I-15 NB in Salt Lake City on Sunday
- Sen. Lee says Utah National Guard kicked out of DC hotel
- Vivint Smart Home Arena parent company merges with holding firm
- Granite School District reveals plans for new, safer school designs
- Ford recalls 2 million vehicles because the doors could open while driving
- Endangered woman missing in Logan
- Gov. Herbert announces economy may begin reopening near end of month
- Utah Jazz plane bird strike was especially bad according to officials
- Girl Scouts of Utah
- Governor Herbert weighs in on Trump tweet debate