OREM – A man is booked into jail for attempted murder after police say he arranged a fake drug deal through Snapchat.
Police say the victim posted a snap on Snapchat, hoping to meet someone who could sell him a pound of marijuana. That was answered by Pelenise Taouma, and they arranged to meet. However, Taouma had no weed to sell. Orem Police Lieutenant Craig Martinez says, “The suspect put a pound of laundry detergent in a bag.”
Martinez says Taouma and the victim met near condos on 900 North, and the victim got into Taouma’s car. “When the victim pulled out his money, the suspect pulled out a handgun and said, ‘Give me your money.’ The victim said, ‘No,’ and ran out of the car. That’s when the suspect fired off two shots,” Martinez says.
The victim was identified first, and Martinez says Taouma was identified later. He was picked up at his girlfriend’s house in Orem
Martinez says a lot of people are under the false impression that the things they post on Snapchat disappear forever. He adds, “People think that they send stuff on Snapchat, and because they can’t see it anymore after 30 seconds, they think it’s gone. That’s not the case. These cell phones are like mini computers in your hand.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Nintendo is bringing back a super-retro handheld from the 1980s
- Church leaders update COVID-19 safety measures for Utah
- New details about Lake Powell boat crash
- ‘Anonymous’ hacker group threatens to “expose many crimes” of Minneapolis PD
- Military family robbed in Salt Lake City
- Family announces they’ll say goodbye to Dixie, a dog burned for revenge
- APNewsBreak: Lawsuit claims Utah’s Grand America exploited immigrants
- Man dies after hit by car; driver booked for fleeing scene
- Parents, teachers, students sound off on later school start times
- Congressman’s siblings release an attack ad against their own brother