UNIVERSITY OF UTAH – Police are giving more information about another victim who was present during the deadly shooting near Red Butte Canyon Monday night. Meanwhile, they say they’re still searching for the murder weapon.
Police say a woman was in the car with ChenWei Guo when Austin Boutain attempted to carjack them. University Police Sergeant Garth Smith says, “After the shooting, victim number 2 was then confronted by Mr. Boutain who attempted to force her up the canyon.” The second victim was able to run away from Boutain when he was distracted, but, Smith says Boutain fired two shots at her. She was not physically hurt, but seriously traumatized.
Several different agencies came to the mouth of the canyon to set up a containment area to find Boutain, however, he was able to move around it. “Due to the size of the area and the makeup of the terrain, Mr. Boutain was able to escape our containment to the north by low-crawling high up on the mountain and walking through the Avenues neighborhood,” Smith says.
Investigators are trying to track down the gun that was used during the shooting, and there could be a second gun that Boutain traded for marijuana. However, they did learn more information about a stolen pick-up truck that Austin and Kathleen Boutain took from their alleged victim in Golden, Colorado. “The truck was given to another transient couple upon their arrival here in Salt Lake City,” according to University Police Chief Dale Brophy.
(Photo Credit: Spenser Heaps)
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- Bad breath behind that mask? 10 reasons and remedies for your halitosis
- Officers escort a fallen deputy’s wife across the stage at her graduation
- Police announce new arrests in Murray mall shooting
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- BYU rallies to beat Tennessee 29-26 in OT
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Chad Daybell faces new charges a day after Lori Vallow appeared in court on same counts
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27