SALT LAKE CITY – A suspicious death of a woman found in a downtown motel is now being investigated as a homicide. Police are hoping the public can help them find two “persons of interest.” They’ve been identified as Kristie Marie Hansen and Javier Rodriquez Pena.
Police were called to the Gateway Inn near 800 West and North Temple just before nine this morning, after someone walking past the room reportedly saw a dead woman inside. Detective Greg Wilking says, “There was somebody from outside the room who called it in. it wasn’t somebody inside the room.”
When officers arrived, Wilking says they could tell the death was suspicious right away. “It doesn’t look like a drug overdose or a natural death.”
Detective Greg Wilking says there wasn’t a lot of clues to work with initially. He also says doing an investigation in a hotel can sometimes be trickier since the people coming and going to the scene frequently change.
Police are trying to interview everyone who may have been inside or passed by that hotel room. “How she came to be here, and all of that is going to be part of that investigation,” he says. However, they have not identified the victim, or said how she may have died.
Today’s Top Stories
- Stacey Marshall – Jordan Ridge Elementary
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- Dave & Dujanovic: Was police use of force in Minneapolis akin to murder?
- Courage Reins
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?
- Epidemiologist urges more COVID-19 testing; Utah receives rapid test kits