WEST VALLEY CITY – Police are asking for help finding the person who opened fire on a minivan on the Bangerter Highway last night. They’re also releasing more information about the victim, and what led up to the shooting.
Investigators say 15-year old Irving Chuba was driving a blue minivan with friends on Bangerter Highway near 3500 South when they were approached by another car. Witnesses tell police Chuba recognized someone in that car. West Valley Police Spokesperson Roxeanne Vainuku says, “The driver, at that point, he starts to try to evade this other car.”
What followed was a high-speed chase that went along Bangerter and side streets to the west. The suspect even drove through red lights to keep up with Chuba. However, Chuba couldn’t escape his attacker. “He gets to Bangerter and 4100 South and there’s traffic. That holds the van up. At that point, the suspect vehicle pulls up alongside the van,” Vainuku says.
That’s when police say the shots were fired that killed Chuba and a Chihuahua that was inside.
Investigators say they don’t have a very good description of the suspect vehicle, other than it’s a gold or silver passenger car. So, Vainuku has this request for anyone who may have seen any kind of reckless driving between a blue minivan and that car near that area. “We’re asking them to give us a call and let us know what they saw,” she says.
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- Bad breath behind that mask? 10 reasons and remedies for your halitosis
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- Church leaders break ground for the Auckland New Zealand Temple
- Man accused of attacking jogger in Kaysville at gunpoint while intoxicated
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- How does lake effect snow work? A primer
- Officers escort a fallen deputy’s wife across the stage at her graduation
- Chad Daybell faces new charges a day after Lori Vallow appeared in court on same counts