TAYLORSVILLE – A former Granite School District bus driver is booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for reportedly propositioning and groping a 16-year old Taylorsville High School student.
Granite School District administrators say August Shell was driving his bus after finishing his shift Wednesday morning when he reportedly saw the student and pulled over to proposition him. Spokesman Ben Horsley says the boy wasn’t interested, but, “[Shell] groped the student and the student rebuffed his advances and quickly ended the conversation.” The teen immediately went inside the school and told an adult.
Horsley says they have they don’t have any footage of what happened, but, they have video from inside the bus as Shell got out to approach the victim. The teen claims he informed Shell he was a minor, but the propositioning continued, anyway.
District investigators say they are confident the teen is telling the truth. Horsley says, “There’s been some admission on the part of the suspect in some of the details of the allegation itself.”
They don’t have any reason to suspect Shell may have done this to any other student, but, Horsley says they haven’t ruled that out because the propositioning was so brazen. So, they’re asking parents to take a closer look at Shell. “We sent out a photo of this former employee to the area most recently served and asked parents to let us know if their student had been approached by this individual,” Horsley says.
Shell has been a substitute bus driver with the district since November of last year.
(Photo Credit: Salt Lake County Jail)
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s Gail Miller is America’s 14th richest self-made woman
- Chad Daybell in court, prosecution offers new details
- Investigators make major drug busts on I-80 in Utah
- A Utah man dies while swimming at Deer Creek State Park
- Donovan Mitchell scores 30 points, Jazz rout Nuggets 124-105
- Southeast Utah Health Department – The Hope Squad of Carbon and Emery Counties
- Man arrested in connection with family massacre in Mexico
- OPINION: With Wanda Barzee’s release, don’t forget Elizabeth Smart
- Reflecting on lessons learned, new information one-year after Utah earthquake
- Charlie and Braden Powell are remembered by those who love them