Doctors at Utah Valley Hospital say they believe they have treated the youngest patient in the state in a hyperbaric chamber, after carbon monoxide poisoning.
Last month Jane Taylor was only five days old, and she and her parents were not feeling well.
“I couldn’t believe this was happening to my brand new little baby,” said Bethany Taylor. They googled their symptoms, realized it must be carbon monoxide poisoning in their apartment, and they went to the ER at Utah Valley Hospital.
Dr James Stewart treated them. He says carbon monoxide poisons you on two levels: the cellular level, and the central nervous system.
“It’s particularly worrisome in a newborn, because you have this rapidly developing nervous system, and carbon monoxide poisoning could be devastating,” said Dr Stewart.
He called his colleagues and looked at any literature he could find on babies that young, before they modified some of the standard treatment protocols and had Jane’s mother hold her in the chamber.
“She has a great outcome,” said Dr Stewart, adding that he will be sharing the case in medical literature so other doctors can learn from it.
“We’re lucky that things turned out the way they did,” said Taylor.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gas station clerk tells her Susan Powell story for the first time publicly
- Grandson arrested on suspicion of murder in SLC house fire
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Romney is president of a secret society in Washington
- Fraud Alerts! 3 Ways Bad Guys are Trying to Get Access to Your Information and How You Can…
- Suspect in shooting no stranger to protests, violence
- Cindy Smith, Hayden Peak Elementary
- Golden Spoke Event
- Utah man charged, accused of threatening people displaying a Trump flag
- Want to buy a dinosaur? One of the world’s biggest T. rex skeletons is up for sale