SALT LAKE CITY — Praising Utahns’ “can-do pioneering spirit” and condemning federal dysfunction, Mitt Romney launched his campaign for the U.S. Senate in a brief video Friday.
“Utah has a lot to teach the politicians in Washington,” the 2012 Republican presidential nominee says in the 2 ½-minute clip.
I am running for United States Senate to serve the people of Utah and bring Utah's values to Washington. pic.twitter.com/TDkas6gD2p
— Mitt Romney (@MittRomney) February 16, 2018
Utah has balanced its budgets, while the federal government has not. Utah exports more than it imports; Washington has that backwards, Romney says in the video. Utah welcome immigrants, while Washington sends them a message of exclusion, he said.
“Utahns are known for hard work, innovation and our can-do pioneering spirit. I am running for United States Senate because in these trying times there is no better moment to bring Utah’s values to Washington. Utah’s economic and political success is a model for our nation. I am ready to fight for this great state and advocate for solutions that improve the lives of Utahns,” Romney said.
In the coming months, Romney plans to visit each of the state’s 29 counties to talk with Utahns about their priorities, issues and concerns, according to his campaign.
Utah’s dual-track nomination process includes gathering signatures for a June primary and participating in the caucus and convention system. Romney’s campaign said he plans to participate in both the signature-gathering process and the state GOP convention in April.
By Dennis Romboy, Deseret News
Today’s Top Stories
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Friends and climbers mourn a Utah man who died on Mt. Everest
- Officer Dallas Smith & Officer Cory Lewis, Spanish Fork Police Department
- 2 charged with killing woman in southwest Nebraska
- Federal charges filed against many white supremacist gang members and associates in Utah
- Model cries ‘tears of joy’ as agent associated with Jeffrey Epstien arrested
- Jerry Silva, South Salt Lake Police Department
- New KSL documentary goes behind the scenes of the COLD podcast
- Angela Kirk – Noah Webster Academy
- The first ever YouTube video was uploaded 15 years ago today. Here it is