WEST VALLEY CITY – Shots fired in a West Valley City neighborhood as investigators say a police officer shot at a man who was trying to run him over.
A Granite School District police officer was out patrolling, looking for possible truant students. District representatives say he spotted a car with five people inside on 5610 West near Hunter Ridge Park. Spokesman Ben Horsley says the officer could smell marijuana and called for backup. He adds, “As he approached the vehicle, the [driver] lurched at him. At some point, he was on the hood of the vehicle.”
Horsley says the officer fired at the driver, who was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.
The others in the car scattered. All of them are described as Hispanic, being between the ages of 16 and 18. The officer was not seriously hurt. Horsley says, “He’s in good condition and was transported with abrasions and a head injury. His uniform’s pretty torn up. It’s clear he was struck by a vehicle.”
Scott Zahm lives nearby. He came home to see dozens of officers surrounding his home. He says, “This is a quiet street. I know Hunter High is right next door, but, we never have any problems.”
The students at Hunter High School were reportedly never in any danger and the school was not put on lockdown.
(Photo Credit: Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News)
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- 2 Utah families bonded after organ donation saved man’s life
- Fake news: what it is, and how it can influence politics
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- How does lake effect snow work? A primer
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- BYU rallies to beat Tennessee 29-26 in OT
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- Man accused of attacking jogger in Kaysville at gunpoint while intoxicated