WASHINGTON, D.C. — Senator Orrin Hatch was the only one of Utah’s congressional delegation to vote yes on the 1.3 trillion dollar omnibus spending bill late Thursday night.
It’s because it includes his STOP School Violence Act, which was backed by the families of 13 Parkland victims.
It calls for mandating more training for law enforcement as well as schools to spot warning signs.
— Senator Hatch Office (@senorrinhatch) March 23, 2018
The rest of Utah’s delegation voted no on the overall bill.
Senator Mike Lee did not like the last-minute disclosures and increased spending.
A small group of congressional leaders have negotiated a 2,232 page, $1.3 trillion bill to fund the government completely behind closed doors, giving Congress less than 48 hours to review it. I will absolutely be voting no. https://t.co/HwBbfl3J87
— Mike Lee (@SenMikeLee) March 22, 2018
Representative Chris Stewart said he it was too long too late for him to review it; Representatives Mia Love and John Curtis said the bill made no effort to rein in government spending.
— Rep. Mia Love (@RepMiaLove) March 22, 2018
Voted against the $1.7 trillion #omnibus. It was over 2,200 pages and I was only given 15 hours to review it. We have a broken budget process and it absolutely needs reform.
— Rep. Chris Stewart (@RepChrisStewart) March 22, 2018
Representative Rob Bishop says it did not go far enough on forest policy to prevent wildfires.
Today’s Top Stories
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Tsunami threat issued after powerful quake hits between Cuba and Jamaica
- A wrap-up of Utah election results — and the races we can’t call yet
- Utah COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations increase over weekend
- Take a look at Warner Bros. billion-dollar theme park in Abu Dhabi
- Police identify officer shot in Ogden Thursday
- Backcountry avalanche alert in effect as crews mitigate risk
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Salmonella outbreak killing Utah songbirds, what you can do