SALT LAKE CITY – Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints had the opportunity to sustain President Russell M. Nelson this morning. They also saw two new apostles called in Elder Gerrit W. Gong, 64 and Elder Ulisses Soares, 59.
Gong is the first Asian-American called to be an apostle in the church history and Soares the first Latin American apostle.
Gong has been a General Authority since 2010 and Soares has served as a General Authority Seventy since 2005.
These two fill the vacancies left in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles left by the passings of President Thomas S. Monson and Elder Robert D. Hales.
Members also sustained President Dallin H. Oaks as President of the Quorum of the Twelve apostles and President M. Russell Ballard as Acting President.
Today’s Top Stories
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Grandson arrested on suspicion of murder in SLC house fire
- Should we lower the voting age to 16? Nancy Pelosi says: “Yes.”
- Fraud Alerts! 3 Ways Bad Guys are Trying to Get Access to Your Information and How You Can…
- Golden Spoke Event
- Coronavirus enters Salt Lake County jails
- SLCO D.A. creates conviction review advisory board
- Suspect in shooting no stranger to protests, violence
- Champion bodybuilder turns himself in on Utah rape charges
- Taylor Swift thanks Utah nurse on her birthday for fighting COVID-19