Work begins this spring on several major road projects throughout Utah. KSL Newsradio’s Mary Richards reports.
UDOT crews are planning over 100 road projects for this year. Here's a look at the top 10 projects in terms of impact. More information on each of these projects can be found here: https://t.co/gwweI36uUa #Utah pic.twitter.com/NCsf92zaoP
— Utah DOT (@UtahDOT) April 2, 2018
Here are UDOT’s Top 10 Projects for 2018:
1. I-15 Technology Corridor, $450 million: This $450 million project starts construction in the spring to widen I-15 to six lanes in both directions between S.R. 92 (Timpanogos Highway) and Main Street in Lehi. This is the last remaining section of I-15 between Salt Lake City and Spanish Fork where the freeway is still only four lanes wide. Other project improvements include a new overpass to extend Triumph Boulevard over I-15, and upgrades to the S.R. 92 and 2100 North interchanges. This project will finish in late 2020.
2. I-15 Southbound — Salt Lake County, 2100 South to 12300 South, $180 million: Another major project will widen I-15 in Salt Lake County by adding a new southbound lane from 2100 South to 12300 South. This project will also redesign some of the southbound ramps at the I-15/I-215 south interchange to improve traffic flow, and will widen 7200 South to three lanes from I-15 to Bingham Junction Boulevard in Midvale. Work will begin this spring and is expected to be complete in late 2019.
3. I-215/Redwood Road Diverging Diamond Interchange — North Salt Lake, $40 million: In Davis County, crews will reconstruct I-215 from the I-15 interchange in North Salt Lake to 2100 North. This project will also construct a new Diverging Diamond interchange at Redwood Road and I-215. Construction started in February, and continues through the end of the year.
4. I-80/S.R. 36 Bridge Replacements —Tooele County, $30 million: UDOT will replace three bridges on I-80 near the S.R. 36 interchange: eastbound and westbound I-80 over the Union Pacific railroad tracks, and the S.R. 36 ramp bridge. Construction on these bridges will start in late spring, and is expected to be complete in summer 2019.
5. Bluff Street — St. George, $51 million: UDOT is widening Bluff Street in St. George from 100 South to Sunset Boulevard. Crews will add a lane in each direction, and add turn lanes at several intersections. This project started in January and will continue for about 12 months.
6. I-80 — Parleys Canyon, $30 million: I-80 will be widened to add a new westbound lane for trucks from Jeremy Ranch to Parleys Summit, and a new wildlife crossing will also be constructed at the summit. In addition, crews will repave the interstate from Lambs Canyon to Kimball Junction. Construction starts today, and is scheduled for completion by the end of the year.
7. Mountain View Corridor — Utah County, $41 million: Mountain View Corridor in Utah County will be extended from the Redwood Road/2100 North intersection to S.R. 73. Work will begin this spring, and will finish up in 2019.
8. Bangerter Highway Four Interchanges, $201 million: Work continues to convert four intersections on Bangerter Highway into freeway-style interchanges. New interchanges are under construction at 5400 South, 7000 South, 9000 South, and 11400 South, and are scheduled to be completed by the end of the year.
9. S.R. 9 — Springdale, $19 million: Crews are reconstructing S.R. 9, the gateway to Zion National Park, through the town of Springdale. Workers are removing the old pavement and replacing it with new asphalt, and adding new pedestrian and bike improvements. This project is scheduled to finish before the peak visitor season later this month.
10. S.R. 108 — Syracuse, $52 million: UDOT is entering the second year of construction to widen and reconstruct S.R. 108 from Antelope Drive to 300 North in Davis County. Work on this project will be completed this fall.
Today’s Top Stories
- Ogden man arrested for attempted murder, kidnapping
- Millcreek and Salt Lake cities find agreement on new boundaries
- President Trump says he wants background check laws, also reassures NRA
- Wuhan (finally) bans wild animals at wet markets
- Colorado reports first confirmed case of COVID-19 variant in the US
- Utahns rally to clean up Salt Lake City, Capitol Building after protests
- Utah lawmakers push for ERA ratification, reviving political battle
- Anti-vaccination signs over freeway deemed a distraction, taken down
- Bicyclists honor friend lost in deadly Millcreek Canyon avalanche
- Macey’s BYU Ultimate Fan Box 2020