SALT LAKE CITY — The saying ‘no pain, no gain’ might well apply to Utah’s roads during 2018.
The Utah Department of Transportation announced an ambitious construction plan for the year at the start of April. The projects run the gamut from adding segments of sidewalk to a major lane expansion on I-15 in Lehi. UDOT highlighted its top 10 projects by providing estimated costs and timelines.
In total, UDOT identified 188 construction projects totaling $1.46 billion.
It comes amid a period of sustained growth for the state. The Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute at the University of Utah projects the population of Utah will climb from roughly 3 million people in 2018 to 4 million by 2032. Much of UDOT’s plan revolves around accommodating that growth, adding capacity to heavily-used routes including I-15, I-215, I-80, Redwood Road, Bangerter Highway, Bluff Street and others.
KSL Newsradio will provide ongoing, daily coverage of the unfolding construction situation in order to help drivers safely and quickly navigate the work zones. That will include Triple Team Traffic reports live on the radio from the KSL Traffic Center during the morning and afternoon commutes, as well as breaking Emergency Traffic reports any time crashes or construction impact the normal flow of travel.
The KSL Traffic Center’s Twitter feed provides continuous, real-time look at conditions affecting the drive through the eyes of UDOT cameras, KSL staff and our “traffic troopers.”
— KSL Traffic Center (@KSLTraffic) April 2, 2018
Traffic reports are also available any time through the free KSL Newsradio app on iOS and Android.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park
- What is coronavirus and Covid-19? An explainer
- Starbucks has officially abandoned straws for sippy cup lids … well, mostly
- FBI Confidential: Human trafficking may be happening in your local park
- How does the Electoral College work?
- AP: Spencer Cox wins race for Utah governor
- Gamer Grandma: Meet 90-year-old Hamako Mori, the world’s oldest gamer on YouTube
- Sri Lanka suicide bomber was previously arrested and then released, government says
- Vangee Watts – Viewmont Elementary
- Former Venezuela prisoner Josh Holt appears with President Trump