SPANISH FORK — A driver is recovering from serious but not life-threatening injuries after an officer-involved shooting in Utah County.
The sheriff’s office says a deputy shot the driver after the driver hit another deputy and ran over his foot early Monday in Spanish Fork.
Officials say the altercation began with police spotting a car they believed was involved in a pursuit on Sunday. Utah County Sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Cannon says that car fled, striking one deputy and running over his foot.
Springville man shot after he runs over Deputy’s foot and hits that Deputy with that car. The suspect is hospitalized. The Deputy is recovering at home. https://t.co/ebC5BU5Pnt
— Spencer Cannon (@SGTCannonPIO) April 9, 2018
The other deputy then fired a shot, hitting the driver in the shoulder.
The sheriff’s office says Wade Willis, 38, was taken first to Mountain View Hospital, then flown to Utah Valley Hospital for treatment.
The deputy who was hit is recovering at home, Cannon says.
— Caitlin Burchill (@newsyCaitlin) April 9, 2018
Police say Willis was well-known to them before the pursuit and shooting overnight. A search of Utah state court documents showed a number of past cases against Willis; many were traffic violations and misdemeanors, but there were felonies on the list as well, including burglary and fleeing from police.
Contributing: Derek Petersen and Caitlin Burchill, KSL TV, and Lindsay Aerts, KSL Newsradio
Today’s Top Stories
- Wildlife bridge crossing opens over I-80 in Parleys Canyon
- Protected: Test
- CPAC chair: Romney not invited over fears for his safety
- New Saratoga Springs middle school still not ready
- Police investigate late report of shooting at Jordan Landing
- Rabbi says gun ‘miraculously jammed’ in California attack
- The original Gerber Baby just turned 93
- Granite School District to publish COVID-19 case counts for all schools
- What could you cut out to help you save $1,000?
- Crocodiles and alligators were once vegetarians, Utah researchers say