Share this story...
Latest News

Man in critical condition after officer-involved shooting in Salt Lake City

Salt Lake Police section off part of the road as they responded to a domestic situation. Credit: Brianna Bodily

SALT LAKE CITY- Police say a suspect is in “extremely critical condition” after a shooting today outside a home near 1100 East and Princeton Avenue.


The Salt Lake Police Department say around 12:15 p.m. officers were dispatched to a home in the area of 1100 and Princeton Ave. on report of a domestic situation.

When the officers arrived at the house, they found a man who immediately retreated back into his home. People were asked to stay in their home after the man barricaded himself inside. Police described the man as suicidal and they kept contact with the individual.

Police called a swat team and negotiators to the scene, and Shearer said they tried to talk to the man for about an hour, worried that he had a hostage inside.

“After over an hour of trying to talk to the man, he came out of the home and approached the officers. His actions caused the officers to respond, at which time the suspect was shot,” Shearer said.

The suspect was transported to a nearby hospital in an ambulance. In the briefing officers weren’t sure about the condition of the victim in the domestic situation.

“I know that there was a victim here. I don’t know what the extent of those injuries were,” he said.

Police lifted the shelter in place order around 2:15 PM, but kept streets blocked off four several more hours.

Because Salt Lake City Police officers were involved in the shooting, West Valley Police will investigate the incident. The Attorney General’s office will review their investigation and have the final say on whether or not the shooting was justified.

West Valley Police arrive on scene to investigate shooting between suspect and Salt Lake City Police.

This is the fourth officer-involved shooting so far in April. The latest was Tuesday, when Unified Police shot a suspect in Magna, just two days after posting several videos on Facebook saying police were out to kill him.