SALT LAKE CITY — Police say a man stole a car with a boy inside Sunday, then flagged down an officer to turn himself in.
Francisco Esmerado, 23, of Salt Lake City, was arrested for investigation of child kidnapping and theft of a vehicle.
Esmerado allegedly took a car that was parked in front of the Microtel Inn and Suites Hotel, 61 N. Tommy Tompson Road, as a woman went inside to check in.
“When (Esmerado) took the vehicle, there was a 12-year-old child in the front passenger seat,” according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
As Esmerado was getting onto I-80 a few miles away, he “observed an officer and promptly flagged him down to report he had just stolen the vehicle,” according to police.
The boy was not harmed.
Today’s Top Stories
- West Kearns Elem. placed in shelter in place protocol Tuesday for around an hour, no threat…
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- Crocodiles and alligators were once vegetarians, Utah researchers say
- US says its airlines can resume limited flights to China
- Man dies after hit by car; driver booked for fleeing scene
- Can a flag be too big? A North Carolina city is suing RV dealer over large American Flag
- Opinion: Coronavirus made me change my plans
- Lieutenant Drew Cox, Naples Police Department
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?
- Tooele County Health Department