SALT LAKE CITY — Police say a man stole a car with a boy inside Sunday, then flagged down an officer to turn himself in.
Francisco Esmerado, 23, of Salt Lake City, was arrested for investigation of child kidnapping and theft of a vehicle.
Esmerado allegedly took a car that was parked in front of the Microtel Inn and Suites Hotel, 61 N. Tommy Tompson Road, as a woman went inside to check in.
“When (Esmerado) took the vehicle, there was a 12-year-old child in the front passenger seat,” according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
As Esmerado was getting onto I-80 a few miles away, he “observed an officer and promptly flagged him down to report he had just stolen the vehicle,” according to police.
The boy was not harmed.
Today’s Top Stories
- UDOT: Expect delays I-15 NB in Salt Lake City on Sunday
- Ford recalls 2 million vehicles because the doors could open while driving
- Vivint Smart Home Arena parent company merges with holding firm
- Granite School District reveals plans for new, safer school designs
- Endangered woman missing in Logan
- Gov. Herbert announces economy may begin reopening near end of month
- Sen. Lee says Utah National Guard kicked out of DC hotel
- Green waste options for wind-hit counties in Utah
- If you catch a Northern Pike in Utah Lake, kill it if it isn’t tagged
- Girl Scouts of Utah