SALT LAKE CITY — KSL TV and Newsradio picked up six regional Edward R. Murrow awards from the Radio Television Digital News Association on Wednesday, which would have been Murrow’s 110th birthday.
RTDNA has been honoring the outstanding work of broadcast and electronic journalists annually since 1971. This year, judges recognized 785 regional Edward R. Murrow Awards in 16 categories, ranging from writing to newscasts to social media and beyond.
“At a time when it’s fashionable to bash so-called mainstream media, it’s more important than ever to recognize the extraordinary work of dedicated journalists who serve communities across our country,” said RTDNA Chairman Scott Libin. “In cities large and small, representing a wide variety of ownership groups, these news organizations show why Americans trust local journalists to report fairly and accurately about issues that matter.”
KSL TV was awarded the regional Murrow for Overall Excellence in Large Market Television, competing against stations in Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico.
KSL Newsradio picked up five regional Murrows across a variety of categories. Notably, the station’s coverage of President Donald Trump’s visit to Utah to re-map two national monuments earned KSL’s team regional Murrow awards for both newscast and social media.
KSL’s growth in web streaming and visual media garnered an award for Excellence in Innovation. Also, reporter Brianna Bodily was honored for her documentary, A Crisis of Faith, and producer Dave Cawley won a Murrow for video with his in-depth reporting on swift water rescue training.
Tanya Vea, Vice President and General Manager of Bonneville Salt Lake City, KSL’s parent organization, thanked the TV and radio teams for their hard work, pointing out the awards recognize KSL’s commitment to excellence.
“Today’s announcement comes on the heels of another big win earlier this month for KSL News photographers,” she added. “KSL TV was named the West Top Station of the year for the National Press Photographers Association (NPPA). Tanner Siegworth was also recognized as the West Top Photographer of the year.”
Both KSL TV and KSL Newsradio will now be in consideration for national Murrow awards, which will be announced later this year.
Today’s Top Stories
- Mount Ogden Junior High School moving to online classes Nov. 4
- Getting Pulled Over is the Worst but Here’s How You Can Make Sure You Have a Safe…
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Park City hiker in Idaho
- Payson shelter-in-place order lifted; sledgehammer suspect still at large
- Lynda Carter offers wonderful performance at FanX
- Trump says FDA will fast track anti-viral treatments for patients with coronavirus
- RV, Starbucks at center of traffic snarl in SLC
- Utah metal ‘monolith’ that garnered national attention reported missing
- Union Pacific parks over a hundred locomotives in Salt Lake rail yard
- 3-year-old Spanish Fork girl falls from 2nd story window