SALT LAKE CITY – TNT analyst Charles Barkley managed to get everything wrong in a bold pregame prediction in the Jazz-Rockets series. Not only did he say the Jazz couldn’t win a game in the series, the Jazz won a game precisely the way Sir Charles said they couldn’t.
“No, they can’t tie the series, they’re not the better team,” Barkley said on TNT prior to coverage of game two of the Western Conference Semifinal series. “I’m not sure they can win a game,” Barkley added.
The Jazz beat the Rockets 116-108 to tie the series at one game apiece. Game three will be played in Utah Friday night, game four is set for Vivint Arena on Sunday afternoon.
“It’s just a bad matchup,” Barkley proclaimed multiple times for the Jazz in a short clip that was circulated online after the Jazz victory.
In addition to the incorrect prediction, the Jazz managed to win without a stellar performance from star rookie Donovan Mitchell. That’s something Barkley said the Jazz couldn’t do.
“Let’s give Donovan Mitchell 30 points. You still need another 60-70 points from other guys and Utah is not capable of doing that.”
Mitchell finished with 17 points, meaning the rest of the team combined for 99 en route to the road playoff victory.
“We’re kidding ourselves. To beat the Rockets or the Warriors, you’ve got to score 110 to 115 points, and the Jazz just don’t have enough weapons.”
Six Jazz players finished with double-digit points, led by Joe Ingles and his 27 points, including seven three-pointers.
Social media users were quick to point out the failed prediction after the game:
Won a game in the series✅
Tied the series✅
Went to Gobert on offense ✅
The “other guys” (Ingles, Burks, Crowder, Exum) combined for 68 points✅
Jazz scored 116 against the Rockets✅ pic.twitter.com/EzCYIZp43c
— Jeremiah Jensen (@JJSportsBeat) May 3, 2018
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Park City hiker in Idaho
- Student hit in front of Kennedy Jr High in WVC
- Aubrey Page – Mount Ogden Junior High
- Indoor vs. outside dining: Which restaurant tables are safer?
- Green waste debris drop off locations across northern Utah
- Does Utah need a new state flag?
- ‘He changed my life’: Afghan pilot remembers Major Brent Taylor
- Should IVF be covered by insurance?
- Utahns 16+ with co-morbidities eligible “effective immediately” for vaccine
- Helicopter crashes on roof of NYC skyscraper, killing pilot