Share this story...
Latest News

Layton police shoot man after nearly 3-hour standoff

(John Wilson - KSL TV)

LAYTON — Layton City police shot and wounded man who they say sounded intoxicated, was threatening suicide, and stated multiple times that he wanted officers to shoot him during a 3-hour standoff that lasted into the early hours of Saturday morning.

At 11:30 PM Friday night, Layton dispatchers received a call from a young woman who reported that an adult male family member had called her and was threatening to commit suicide and seemed to be intoxicated. She had also reported to dispatch that the man had guns in the home, said Layton Police Lt. Travis Lyman.

When officers arrived at the home belonging to the 44-year-old man near 1950 N. Avalon Dr., they proceeded to set up a perimeter around the house and were able to make contact with the man by phone, Lyman said.

Crisis negotiators were periodically able to talk to the man by phone over the course of the next nearly 3 hours, attempting to resolve the situation, he said.

The man was reportedly upset over domestic issues that had taken place earlier in the day.

The situation escalated when police say the man, armed with a handgun and a rifle, began to fire rounds inside the house and started coming outside to repeatedly fire rounds off in the front yard throughout the nearly 3 hours.

“At 2:26 AM, the man was again outside when his actions prompted a Layton officer to fire his weapon and shoot him,” Lymen said.

He was then taken into custody, transported to Davis Hospital, and flown by helicopter to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. Medical personnel have reported that the suspect is expected to survive.

Police say they advised nearby residents to shelter in place during the standoff. No other officers or citizens were hurt.

The Davis County Critical Incident Protocol Team is conducting an investigation, and the Layton officer is on standard administrative leave, with his name not being released at this time.