LAYTON — A driver fleeing from police could be to blame for a crash involving a semi with a triple trailer that snarled the southbound commute from Weber County into Salt Lake City Tuesday morning, Utah Highway Patrol says.
UPDATE DAVIS CO: UHP says a vehicle fleeing Syracuse PD got on I-15 (chase terminate) and tried to pass on the right shoulder, lost control, went under the semi causing the trailer to overturn. Semi driver is okay, 4 people in vehicle taken into custody w/minor injuries. #kslam https://t.co/6qDfKmasV5
— Shara Park (@KSLSharaPark) May 15, 2018
At one point, it took drivers more than an hour to get from Ogden to Kaysville on I-15, and alternate routes like U.S. 89 had similar backups.
A jail report says a Syracuse officer first spotted the vehicle in the chase in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
“I ran the vehicle’s license plate and noticed multiple arrest warrants were attached to the vehicle,” the officer wrote in his report.
Police ended that pursuit over concerns about public safety, but continued to run the warrants via laptop.
“I then heard on the radio that dispatch was advised that the vehicle involved in my evade, had been involved in an accident, on southbound I-15 just south of the Layton Parkway on-ramp, where the vehicle had caused a semi truck to rollover,” the report states.
UHP says the driver of the vehicle tried to pass a tractor-trailer on the right. The vehicle lost control, going under the semi, which caused the truck’s third trailer to roll over. All four of the people in the vehicle had warrants out for their arrests. One was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries. The semi’s driver was not hurt.
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- Bad breath behind that mask? 10 reasons and remedies for your halitosis
- Officers escort a fallen deputy’s wife across the stage at her graduation
- Police announce new arrests in Murray mall shooting
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- BYU rallies to beat Tennessee 29-26 in OT
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Chad Daybell faces new charges a day after Lori Vallow appeared in court on same counts
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27