WENDOVER — Officers went to great lengths in search of the stolen, cremated remains of a military veteran destined for California.
They literally went dumpster diving.
“They checked every public garbage can and every public dumpster, up to and including getting inside and looking, but to no avail,” said Wendover Public Safety Director Ken Quirk.
He added the thief ransacked the uniforms and American flags inside the private transport van, before taking the military veteran’s remains.
The transport driver is devastated.
“The victim told me he doesn’t care about the crime itself, or recovering the electronics” that were also stolen from the van, Quirk said. “All he really wants is the ashes back.”
The veteran’s family in California was waiting for them.
Today’s Top Stories
- Will Pettit – Granite Park Junior High
- The 90 minutes that cost Principal Ford White his job
- Much loved St. George runner dies after 10-year fight with cancer
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- Officer Tanya Turnbow, Tooele City Police Department
- Long-serving KSL weatherman Bob Welti has died
- Lay Kou- Southland Elementary
- Student journalist scores big scoop in Trump-Ukraine story
- Salt Lake City Council wants resident input on 2020-2021 fiscal budget
- President Nelson announces 8 new temples, including Utah, Dubai and Shanghai