DRAPER — Juan Diego High School’s new quarterbacks coach comes from Arizona, where he was at the center of a hazing and sexual abuse scandal.
But lack of cooperation from witnesses, including former players, led the Maricopa County attorney to drop the case against Steve Belles, plus his former principal and athletic director at a high school in Chandler, Ariz.
The Arizona Republic reports authorities suspected them of not properly reporting hazing and sexual assault.
Belles led his team to five state championships in ten years before he quit last year.
One of his former players now coaches at Juan Diego in Draper and helped him land his new coaching and teaching job.
Today’s Top Stories
- NFL 2019: Pass interference reviews main topic in season 100
- Salt Lake City Moving To New Neighborhood Clean Up Program
- How to care for Poinsettias
- Dave & Dujanovic: Conceal or reveal jail mugshots?
- New restrictions on fireworks to keep Utah residents safe
- ‘He changed my life’: Afghan pilot remembers Major Brent Taylor
- KSL NewsRadio Announces New Show, Programming Lineup
- Wuhan (finally) bans wild animals at wet markets
- ERA Utah supporters hold rally at the State Capitol building
- Alaska moose poacher fined $100,000, sentenced to jail