DRAPER — Juan Diego High School’s new quarterbacks coach comes from Arizona, where he was at the center of a hazing and sexual abuse scandal.
But lack of cooperation from witnesses, including former players, led the Maricopa County attorney to drop the case against Steve Belles, plus his former principal and athletic director at a high school in Chandler, Ariz.
The Arizona Republic reports authorities suspected them of not properly reporting hazing and sexual assault.
Belles led his team to five state championships in ten years before he quit last year.
One of his former players now coaches at Juan Diego in Draper and helped him land his new coaching and teaching job.
Today’s Top Stories
- President Trump says he wants background check laws, also reassures NRA
- Ogden man arrested for attempted murder, kidnapping
- Millcreek and Salt Lake cities find agreement on new boundaries
- As bitcoin surges, prominent cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase aims to go public
- Utahns rally to clean up Salt Lake City, Capitol Building after protests
- Earthquake damage shuts down Magna fire station
- Bill that would ban on sharing intimate photo evidence passes Legislature
- Passenger says they asked boat driver to stop drinking before deadly Lake Powell crash
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Colorado reports first confirmed case of COVID-19 variant in the US