MANTI — The self-proclaimed prophet and co-founder of Knights of the Crystal Blade pleaded guilty today to child sex abuse in Sanpete County.
In court, Samuel Shaffer answered questions from Judge Marvin Bagley about why he would believe himself to be married to and have sex with an 8-year-old girl.
“We were going to have a family together, grow old together, and she would be okay,” said Bagley. He believes the marriage was ordained by God.
When asked what he would tell the 8-year-old girl now, Shaffer said, “I want her to know it’s ok, and that I love her…and I want her to be happy.”
Judge Bagley said he isn’t aware of any religion that condones Shaffer’s actions, but says they were “certainly a violation of Utah law.”
Shaffer pleaded guilty last month to child rape and abuse charges in Iron County.
Today’s Top Stories
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- Lagoon ready to open without reservations
- What it was like hunting memes outside Area 51
- No sign of missing woman who was kidnapped in Kearns 1 week ago