AMERICAN FORK – An elderly man is dead after police say a suspect led deputies on a chase that ended in a crash on State Street and 900 West.
The suspect slammed into another car, killing a passenger. The crash also resulted in a very busy intersection being shut down for hours as police conducted an investigation.
The situation started with a traffic stop on State Street near 500 East in American Fork. Investigators said the suspect drove away from the traffic stop and a Utah County Sheriff’s deputy followed. A witnesses named Warley Jones saw police vehicles following the suspect on I-15 in Lehi and noted the driver was not stopping.
“I thought, ‘Doesn’t he know he’s getting pulled over,’” Jones said.
Police said the suspect went back down to American Fork and ran a red light at the busy intersection on 900 West.
“The fleeing vehicle crashed into a white passenger car,” American Fork police Sergeant Josh Christensen said. “It was occupied by two elderly individuals, and elderly male, as a passenger, and an elderly female.”
The man died on the scene. The woman was taken to the hospital in good condition.
The suspect, identified as Trevor Pitcher from West Jordan, survived the crash in good condition.
Christensen said they’re still trying to figure out why he fled from police when he was originally stopped.
“We understand he’s got a history of fleeing from officers. We’re currently investigating possible impairment, at this time,” Christensen said.
After being released from the hospital, Pitcher was booked into the Utah County Jail on suspicion of manslaughter, evading police and reckless endangerment. Utah court records show Pitcher pleaded guilty to an assault charge in May.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Gunman who killed U. student tried to kidnap witness, police say
- The mystery of the Utah monolith found in the desert
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Fire-ravaged forests get help from pine cone collectors
- Wasatch Adaptive Sports
- Another 4.4 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits last week
- What makes soda so addictive?
- Another mountain lion spotted in Salt Lake County
- Connect KSL to your Amazon Echo Device