LOS ANGELES — Utah Jazz shooting guard Donovan Mitchell was named Best Breakthrough Athlete during the 2018 ESPYs Wednesday night.
He had a rookie season that included averaging 20.5 points, 3.7 assists and 3.7 rebounds per game while helping his team reach the second round of the playoffs.
During his acceptance speech, Mitchell spoke to the young fans watching the festivities.
“Don’t let anybody put limits on what you can do,” he said. “People love to do that nowadays. Go out there and have fun and enjoy it. Enjoy life. Enjoy your passion, whatever it may be.”
Mitchell wore a Spiderman themed suit to the awards show. His nickname is “Spida.”
He thanked the Utah Jazz and his teammates on Twitter afterward.
“Without you guys I wouldn’t even be in this spot and this position I love y’all man thank you for all your support!!! @utahjazz,” he tweeted.
Today’s Top Stories
- School won’t let CEO pay off student lunch debt
- Scientists say vodka from Chernobyl’s exclusion zone is safe to drink
- Passenger says they asked boat driver to stop drinking before deadly Lake Powell crash
- The missing hiker found alive in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Ex-Davis High teacher who sexually abused 3 students granted parole
- Latest E. coli outbreak spreads to Utah
- Utah actor and producer discusses addiction recovery
- Teens are binge drinking more than ever
- Getting Pulled Over is the Worst but Here’s How You Can Make Sure You Have a Safe…
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together