SALT LAKE CITY — The LDS church confirms a missionary from West Haven, Utah, died after he slipped and fell from a cliff in Australia.
Gavin Zimmerman, 19, was visiting a popular sightseeing spot Monday along with a group of missionaries when the accident happened.
Daniel Woodruff, a spokesman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, released the following statement confirming the accident:
It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of Elder Gavin Paul Zimmerman, age 19, from West Haven, Utah. Elder Zimmerman has been serving in the Australia Sydney Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since August of 2017. Elder Zimmerman and a group of missionaries were at a popular sightseeing area on Monday when he slipped and fell from a cliff.
Our sincerest condolences and prayers are with Elder Zimmerman’s family and loved ones as they remember his life and mourn his passing. We pray they will feel the love of our Heavenly Father at this tragic time.
Raymond and Jeanette Zimmerman, Elder Zimmerman’s parents, also released a statement, reading:
It is with deep sorrow and heavy hearts that we share the news of our son’s passing from this earth to return home to his Heavenly Father. Gavin Paul Zimmerman grew up in Roy and West Haven. He attended Fremont High and participated in both track and football. Gavin was called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Australia Sydney Mission. He began his mission on August 16, 2017. Gavin served in several leadership positions in the mission field. He was a great example to us all, and he loved his mission very much. He enjoyed teaching people and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. He loved the Savior Jesus Christ and his family, and we loved him. Gavin was a bright light in our lives! We are so grateful for our Father in Heaven’s plan of salvation. We know that we will be with him again one day. Our family will miss him greatly until we meet again.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Loving Little Cottonwood Canyon to death: is a gondola the answer?
- Elder Oaks reiterates opposition to same-sex marriage
- Mat and Savanna Shaw, a viral daddy-daughter singing duo sharing hope through music
- Snapchat Dysmorphia: How selfie filters are driving the demand for plastic surgery
- Arrests made in likely murder of missing Kearns woman
- New info suggests Josh Powell destroyed evidence in wife’s disappearance
- Utah opens up vaccine eligibility to Utahns 50+ and those with other health conditions
- Small cans lead to big sales for Coca-Cola
- Suspect in Pleasant Grove shelter-in-place identified