ST. GEORGE — Police say an 18-month-old boy has died after being run over by his mother in a driveway.
St. George police spokesperson, Officer Lona Trombley, says the accident happened during a family gathering. Several other children, the boy’s cousins, were in the car with the mother, who didn’t see her son and hit him as she backed out of the driveway near 1100 East 400 South.
The mother was leaving to get pizza for the group and St. George police spokesperson Lona Trombley called this a tragic accident.
“Our thoughts are with the family at this time during this terribly tragic time. And as always with incidents such as this, we encourage everyone to take a moment and think about what we can do to try to keep this from happening,” she said.
Trombley says the original plan for the pizza run was for the toddler to stay behind with adult family members.
“In the confusion, the toddler ended up behind the mom’s SUV when she put it in reverse,” Trombley said.
Police have not yet released the names of the mother or child.
Today’s Top Stories
- Anti-mask crowd fills Utah County Commission meeting on mask mandate, meeting abruptly called off
- Mary Kaye Huntsman talks: politics, international pressure and Russia
- Fireworks and pets: keeping furry friends safe during firework season
- Judge rules Chad Daybell should face trial in case of missing kids
- Ticket buyers, beware: scalpers are out to rip you off
- Utah AG Reyes unable to vote as Elector, Love steps in
- 10 weird landmarks in Utah many new residents don’t even know about
- This state trooper stepped in to hold a crying baby so his mom could finish her meal
- Could Joseph Smith’s First Vision have happened on March 26, 200 years ago?
- JayMac’s opinion: The brat brawl between Pelosi and Trump. Who’s right? Both wrong.