MIDVALE — Unified Police say a suspect shot by police and accused of trying to stab an officer outside of a fast food restaurant is out of the hospital.
Police are not yet sure what 26-year-old Steve Hawkins was doing outside the closed Midvale McDonald’s at 425 W. 7200 S. around 1:30 a.m., but say he stabbed an officer with a screwdriver who had stopped to see what was going on.
“The officer’s ballistic vest was able to protect him from receiving any injuries with that,” says Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray.
The officer then fired on Hawkins, hitting him in the abdomen. Hawkins received treatment in a nearby hospital and was released shortly afterward.
Hawkins is now booked into the Salt Lake County Jail and faces multiple severe charges.
“Public intoxication, interfering with an arrest, use of a dangerous weapon, and aggravated assault on a police officer,” says Sgt. Gray.
The officer is not yet being identified, but following standard procedure, is on paid administrative leave while an outside agency investigates.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sports stars J.J. Watt and Kealia Ohai were married Saturday
- Teacher stands by as Vernal Middle School student is viciously assaulted
- Bodies of missing girls found in Utah Lake
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map
- AP changes writing style to capitalize ”b” in Black
- Police say West Valley City man planned mass shooting during SLC protest
- Sergeant Brian Taylor, Provo Police Department
- Actress sues actor Tom Sizemore, claiming sex abuse on set
- Feds warn UFO enthusiasts against storming Area 51: The military ‘stands ready’
- West Kearns Elem. placed in shelter in place protocol Tuesday for around an hour, no threat…