WEST VALLEY CITY — A teen boy is home safe after police say three people from Arizona kidnapped him and demanded ransom from his parents.
West Valley City Police are being somewhat tight-lipped about the case, as it is part of a larger investigation by Utah County Major Crimes and the F.B.I. They do believe the kidnapping to be drug-related and not random.
According to West Valley Police Spokesperson Roxeanne Vainuku, Juan Carlos Moreno Trinidad, 41, Issa Al-Sadoon, 26, and Nadia Avalos, 31, all from Phoenix, are accused of kidnapping the teen at gunpoint.
“The kidnappers, after they had taken the 17-year-old boy, called his family and demanded ransom money,” says Vainuku.
Using security footage, multiple law enforcement agencies were able to track the suspect to a South Salt Lake motel. Police and the F.B.I. surrounded the motel, and were eventually able to take all three suspects into custody and recover the teen hostage.
Vainuku says, “He was unharmed, he was recovered safely.”
Police believe the boy was held for around eight hours. Multiple weapons and drugs were found inside the motel room.
Charges against the three suspects are still pending.
Today’s Top Stories
- Candidate Conversation: Eric Eliason for 1st District, Congress
- Gateway Mall owners say crime is down 79%
- Family releases statement after woman murdered on Tinder date
- SLC haunted house prepares to open during pandemic
- Corvette goes mid-engine for first time to raise performance
- Three people gored as running of the bulls ends in Pamplona
- Simple credit card rewards can pay off if you just do a little work
- Thousands pay final respects to fallen firefighter
- Police identify woman found dead at Midvale Motel 6
- A tiger went on an 800-mile odyssey in search of food, a mate, and a place to call home