MILLCREEK, Utah — Unified police say a man beat his estranged wife and their 13 year old daughter, resulting in the woman’s death. The girl is in the hospital in extremely critical condition.
Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray says neighbors heard screaming at 7:05 AM Wednesday at the Riverbend Apartments at 850 West 3900 South. Paramedics were unable to save her life.
They believe both victims were beaten with a crowbar.
Police say the suspect is 54 year old Walter Brantzeg. They say he called TV stations as he was leaving the scene, and officers pinged his phone and took him into custody near 4500 South and 300 East.
It appears Brantzeg was separated from his wife and they were in a custody dispute.
Help for people in abusive relationships can be found by contacting the YWCA’s Women in Jeopardy program at 801-537-8600, or the confidential statewide Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-897-LINK (5465). Resources are also available online at udvc.org.
Today’s Top Stories
- Police: Couple arrested for marijuana-themed event
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Update: Police identify man in Echo nightclub shooting
- Barry Pewtress – Spectrum Academy High School
- Salt Lake City School District gears up for the year to start online
- 5 tips to stop touching your face
- Death of Steve Powell removes a lingering hope in Susan Powell case
- Excelsior Academy first-graders moved to online school
- CNN and ‘Sesame Street’ to host a town hall addressing racism
- Find a Way Out! 3 Ways You Can Stay Safe During a Mass Shooting Situation Anywhere You Are