SALT LAKE CITY — Smoky air is expected to cause problems for people who are sensitive to poor air quality for a second day in a row in northern Utah.
Thursday, KSL.com’s Air Quality Index showed many locations in the “red” or unhealthy range, with an air quality index reading of over 150. Beijing, the capital of China notorious for its air pollution, was actually better than Salt Lake City with an AQI in the “orange” range at 58.
Bryce Bird, the director of Utah’s Division of Air Quality, blamed the smoke fouling the air along the Wasatch Front on western wildfires.
“Ozone levels are also enhanced by the smoke,” Bird says, “so the precursors that form the secondary pollutant, ozone, are also opponents of the smoke that’s coming into the areas.”
In other words, the smoke not only adds particulate pollution to the air in the Salt Lake Valley, but it also contributes to ozone pollution.
Obviously, Bird says, there’s not much we can do about wildfires in other states or the wind directions that might push that smoke into Utah. However, he recommends doing what you can to keep from adding to the pollution. Those measures include limiting driving and not burning wood.
Early Friday, the AQI was already “orange” for many areas north and east of Salt Lake City, and some spots had individual readings in the “red” or unhealthy range. The forecast predicted most of the region would stay in the “orange” range on Friday, with some isolated spots again spiking into the “red” with smoky air.
Today’s Top Stories
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Bill would create firearm safety pilot program in Utah schools
- One dead, five hurt in head-on crash at Bonneville Salt Flats
- Knolls Fire Update: Evacuation order lifted but still possible, only 25% contained
- Provo High School football game moves back home, frustrating educators
- Utah a good home for autonomous drone development, military one reason
- Evacuations force California man to cancel SLC trip
- Tulsi Gabbard files lawsuit against Hillary Clinton for defamation
- Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national…