The memorial service for Senator John McCain was heartbreaking to listen to.
I get it, McCain could be petty from time to time, but for the most part, his example was so remarkable. If we just wave goodbye to it instead of asking ourselves if we can restore the civility that he created? Are we truly just going to say that there will never be another time in our history where we have a John McCain where politics is something that is not a battle of good and evil but a battle of good, hard-working Americans competing in the arena of ideas with principled opposition? It’s remarkable to see people on all sides of the aisle unify around his death. At the same time, giving no indication that they’ll be better or that they’re going to stop what’s going on or to take his example and become better. But he was part of the old generation and this is the new generation where if someone disagrees with you it’s because you’re with the new generation who hates America or they’re dumb or they have ulterior motives.
Jay Mcfarland hosts the JayMac News Show as well as the fictional podcast, Hosts of Eden. KSL Newsradio is part of Bonneville Media and based in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Don’t forget to review and subscribe to the JayMac Mac News Show podcast on Apple Podcasts. Or follow Jay on Twitter and Instagram or on Facebook.
Today’s Top Stories
- Need something last minute? Here’s what is open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- Live Mic: Ideas for needed police reform
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- Trump outstripping Obama on pace of executive orders
- Doctor: Utah’s COVID-19 infection rate is a concern, hospitalizations stabilize
- Salt Lake City School District taking heat for canceling school at the last minute
- F-35 Demonstration Team to hold behind-the-scenes performance Friday
- Chad Daybell in court, prosecution offers new details
- All six female Utah state senators walk out to protest invasive abortion ultrasound
- Peace and conflict: Talking politics and navigating tension over the holidays