SUMMIT COUNTY – The person behind an arson fire in Summit County may be behind several more. Investigators say they believe there is a connection between the Trevels fire east of Echo Reservoir and five others along I-80 spanning from Tooele to Summit Counties.
Investigators looking at a possible link between 6 arson fires along I-80 that spanned from Tooele County to Summit County yesterday.
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) September 4, 2018
Declaring a blaze as an arson is not something investigators take lightly. Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands Spokesperson Leann Fox says, “There needs to be significant evidence for them to determine that it was intentionally started.”
Fox says witness statements and physical evidence seems to point in one direction.
“Based on evidence at the fires, witness information, and other factors, there seems to be a pretty strong tie between all six fires,” she adds.
Chuck Hadley has a property in the Echo Creek Ranches. He’s under a pre-evacuation order, an all he can do is wait to see if the fire spreads close to his home.
“Our concern is that the winds up here are really unpredictable,” Hadley says.
He believes evacuating his home will be extremely tricky if it’s ordered.
Hadley says, “What do you do? We’re two miles from the pavement. If they decide they’re going to evacuate, how are you going to get in there and get your stuff?”
The Trevels fire has charred 585 acres and is 25 percent contained.
Today’s Top Stories
- Former missionary finds hope after becoming an addict
- Emergency crews train for large-scale attack
- Bodies of man and his slave unearthed from ashes at Pompeii
- DC Police report 68 arrests made
- My Minute of News: C’mon, get happy with Utah, the happiest state
- Utah mother tells her story of coping after losing a daughter to a fentanyl overdose
- Rescuers say infant CPR saved one year-old baby
- Landslide at Myanmar jade mine kills at least 162 people
- House Democrat says Mueller, Judiciary Committee reach deal for special counsel to testify on May 15
- Washington County Search and Rescue report 5 incidents Sunday, including 1 death