SPANISH FORK — A special group of Hot Shot firefighters provided unusual assistance to an adult treatment center during the Pole Creek Fire: caring for kittens who got left behind.
Mountain Peak Recovery received an evacuation notice ordering everyone in the building to relocate to safer areas outside of the Pole Creek Fire evacuation zones.
According to a Mountain Peak therapist and program director Blu Robinson, clients view the recovery center as a “refuge and safe haven” so it was difficult for them to leave so abruptly.
In a hustle, the staff forgot to grab their kittens that sleep in their barn.
Robinson contacted KSL Newsradio very pleased after she saw camera footage of firefighters nurturing the kittens they accidentally left behind.
The Hot Shots were caught on camera playing, holding and feeding the kittens while they continued to work to put out the wildfire around them.
“We were so glad to see our security camera system. Hot Shot firefighters taking such good care of them– playing, holding and feeding them. It’s brought warmth to our hearts, gratitude in the situation and comfort to the clients who have been worrying about them.”
The Pole Creek fire merged with The Bald Mountain Fire causing firefighters to work overtime.
Now, the Pole Creek Fire is 28% contained, and the Bald Moutain Fire is 12% contained. The two wildfires have burned 115,000 acres combined.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park
- Greg Skordas: Democratic nominee for Utah attorney general
- No school for kids at one Utah school, courtesy of a garbage fire
- Lincoln County, NV, prepares for possible onslaught
- The story of Sgt. Cade Brenchley, hit by a car in line of duty
- Salt Lake County creates diversity team as part of COVID-19 response
- “Lights on 4 Lizzy” fundraiser raises thousands of dollars
- Utah football fans honor Ty Jordan with “The Ty Jordan Challenge”
- Salt Lake middle, high school students to return to in-person learning
- Elder Oaks reiterates opposition to same-sex marriage