SALT LAKE CITY — An electric scooter caught fire in a building at the University of Utah causing many classes to relocate Wednesday.
The University says the James E. Talmage Building is temporarily closed and updates about re-opening will soon be released.
A student’s personal scooter was parked in the hallway on the third floor when it suddenly caught fire, officials state.
Approximately 140 people were in the building at the time of the fire and immediately evacuated to safety while the Salt Lake Fire Department rapidly worked to put out the burn.
The fire damaged some floor tiles but did not cause any other damage to the building, the release states.
Utah Fire Marshal Clint Haymond said the fire looks like it was caused by the scooter’s “lithium-ion battery system.” The scooter was not being charged when it burst into flames.
Officials re-evaluated the building Thursday morning at 8 a.m. and have yet to release details about its re-opening.
Classes will resume on Thursday in specific locations provided by the University.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- Connect KSL to your Amazon Echo Device
- Lagoon ready to open without reservations
- Sean Reyes: GOP incumbent candidate for Utah attorney general
- No sign of missing woman who was kidnapped in Kearns 1 week ago