WASHINGTON — The office of Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, is doing damage control after the Senator called Dr. Christine Blasey Ford an “attractive witness.”
Hatch didn’t find Dr. Ford “uncredible” while she claimed Judge Brett Kavanaugh, the U.S. Supreme Court nominee, once sexually assaulted her.
“I think she’s an attractive, good witness,” Hatch said.
Asked by a CNN reporter what he meant by attractive, the senator said, “in other words, she’s pleasing.”
Hatch reiterated, Dr. Ford is “attractive and she’s a nice person” as he entered an elevator.
Hatch spokesman Matt Whitlock tweeted his boss has used the word “attractive” to describe men and women over the years, consistently, regarding personalities, not appearances.
When asked if he’s learned anything new, Hatch said “no I haven’t, at least I can’t think of anything.”
Utah’s senior U.S. senator thinks the Senate Judiciary Committee will vote today on whether to recommend Kavanaugh to the high court.
Also Thursday, Hatch and Sen. Mike Lee, along with South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, were victims of online “doxxing” during Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing.
They had their home addresses and cell phone numbers posted on Wikipedia.
The suspects are unknown, and that information is publicly available elsewhere, but Wikipedia removed it by the end of Thursday’s daylong hearing. Capitol Police are investigating.
In a statement, Hatch’s office said the senators’ families were put at risk, and “doxxing” shows how broken the process has become.
Today’s Top Stories
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Salmonella outbreak killing Utah songbirds, what you can do
- Lawmakers promote bill prohibiting online impersonation
- Now’s your chance to pick up US postage stamps honoring military dogs
- Police identify officer shot in Ogden Thursday
- COVID-19 vaccine eligible to all Utah veterans, spouse, as soon as tomorrow
- US Capitol on lockdown as protesters storm the building
- If you build it … White Sox and Yankees to play at ‘Field of Dreams’ movie…
- Full transcript of Lori Daybell secret phone call recording