SALT LAKE CITY — A gang member imprisoned for murder has now been connected to a cold rape case due to a rape kit and now Salt Lake City Police are looking for a second rape suspect.
A rape survivor called the state’s rape kit testing hotline.
“We want to commend this survivor for her courage, her resiliency, and her strength,” said Lauren DeVries, a victim advocate with the Dept. of Public Safety’s Sexual Assault Kit Victim Information Line.
DeVries says that kit from 2006 led investigators to Frank Benavidez, 31, who was convicted in a drive-by shooting death of a 7-year-old girl in 2008 in Glendale.
Det. Keith Horrocks says a red, two-door Honda with a black hood may be connected to the rape case.
“We ask that you just reach out to detectives and any information will help us verify the identity of the second suspect,” he added.
The survivor was 16 at the time of the rape.
DeVries says the woman wants to remain anonymous for now.
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake City Marathon brings road closures Saturday morning
- Man suspected in freeway stabbing booked into jail, drug use suspected
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- Lacy Turner, Kaysville Police Department
- To eat, or not to eat breakfast — that is the question
- Marc Miller & Seth Peterson, Probation Officers
- What is coronavirus and Covid-19? An explainer
- More stores add facemask requirements, enforcing them is another story
- Rep. Patrice Arent reveals cancer diagnosis
- Is Gruden the only drawback for the Raiders coming to Utah?