SALT LAKE CITY — A gang member imprisoned for murder has now been connected to a cold rape case due to a rape kit and now Salt Lake City Police are looking for a second rape suspect.
A rape survivor called the state’s rape kit testing hotline.
“We want to commend this survivor for her courage, her resiliency, and her strength,” said Lauren DeVries, a victim advocate with the Dept. of Public Safety’s Sexual Assault Kit Victim Information Line.
DeVries says that kit from 2006 led investigators to Frank Benavidez, 31, who was convicted in a drive-by shooting death of a 7-year-old girl in 2008 in Glendale.
Det. Keith Horrocks says a red, two-door Honda with a black hood may be connected to the rape case.
“We ask that you just reach out to detectives and any information will help us verify the identity of the second suspect,” he added.
The survivor was 16 at the time of the rape.
DeVries says the woman wants to remain anonymous for now.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s Gail Miller is America’s 14th richest self-made woman
- 2 Utah families bonded after organ donation saved man’s life
- Utah actor and producer discusses addiction recovery
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- Convicted killer of UHP trooper up for parole
- 2 Capitol Police officers suspended for their alleged roles in riot
- Opinion: “Midway” movie ends with offensive statement
- Man accused of attacking jogger in Kaysville at gunpoint while intoxicated
- Utah company Banjo could solve crimes in seconds
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27