SALT LAKE COUNTY – As the midterm elections creep closer, voter interest appears to be sky high in Salt Lake County. The County Clerk’s office is having a hard time finding enough people to deal with the large number of registrations they still have to process.
Sherrie Swensen has been the Salt Lake County Clerk for nearly three decades and she has never seen this many registrations for a midterm election before.
“As of today, there are 504 thousand overall registered voters in Salt Lake County,” she says.
Normally they process roughly half that for a typical midterm. Swensen estimates they received at least 20 thousand registrations since mid-September. Compare that to 2014, when there were just over 5,500 for all of September and October.
They have so many, they’ve asked their employees who normally work on marriages and passports to process voter information.
“We’ve hired extra people and we’re having them work overtime in the evenings and on Saturdays. It’s a lot of extra work,” Swensen says, adding that the search for qualified workers has been hard. “We’ve had a hard time finding people with that skill set.”
There are some people who are coming into her office to re-register after moving. Swensen says that isn’t necessary.
“All they need to do is call the office. We’ll update their address and we can mail them a ballot. They don’t need to go through the whole registration process. We’re seeing a lot of duplicates,” she says.
Today’s Top Stories
- New health order could impact school dances, graduation ceremonies
- Tabitha’s Way
- Utah tourism office unveils three-year plan to keep visitors and money rolling in
- Much loved St. George runner dies after 10-year fight with cancer
- California to resume some activities by April 1
- Utah man being investigated for threatening to kill former US senator
- Utah delegation on COVID relief bill: “Congress has lost their minds”
- Emergency responders urge tourists to stay home after rescue in Emery County
- Utah House OKs bill to bring back vehicle registration postcards
- Malfunctioning Mississippi voting machine caught on video