OREM — The Orem Police Department released the name of the 17-year-old shot and killed by officers.
Jacob E. Albrethsen was killed Friday after police were called to the house for a “family problem” at his house at 81 N. Paradise Drive. Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez says Albrethsen came at the officers who responded to the call with a knife, and that the officers attempted to subdue Albrethsen with a taser before each firing “several shots.”
“This is a tragedy any way you look at it,” Orem police officials wrote in a Facebook post Sunday. “There is still a lot of work to do and we really appreciate your support and patience.”
Police report Albrethsen was a student at Orem High School. Alpine School District announced it will have counselors available in the school starting Monday for students.
The Utah County Attorney’s Office and the Orem Police Department are investigating the incident.
Today’s Top Stories
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Grandson arrested on suspicion of murder in SLC house fire
- Should we lower the voting age to 16? Nancy Pelosi says: “Yes.”
- Fraud Alerts! 3 Ways Bad Guys are Trying to Get Access to Your Information and How You Can…
- Golden Spoke Event
- Coronavirus enters Salt Lake County jails
- SLCO D.A. creates conviction review advisory board
- Suspect in shooting no stranger to protests, violence
- Champion bodybuilder turns himself in on Utah rape charges
- Taylor Swift thanks Utah nurse on her birthday for fighting COVID-19