HUNTINGTON, Emery County — Lamar E. Guymon, mayor of Huntington and former Emery County Sheriff, died at 71 on Friday.
Guymon served as the county sheriff for 36 years, comprising the overwhelming majority of his 40 years in law enforcement. He was one of the longest standing sheriffs in Utah.
Guymon’s death cut short his first term as the mayor of Huntington, his hometown in central Utah. His public service resume also includes leadership roles in the Utah Sheriffs’ Association, the Utah Association of Counties, the Castleview Hospital and other boards and commissions.
Guymon leaves behind his wife of 52 years, GayLa, six children, 15 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Funeral services are scheduled for Thursday at 11 a.m. at the Huntington Stake Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Today’s Top Stories
- Fireworks and pets: keeping furry friends safe during firework season
- Judge rules Chad Daybell should face trial in case of missing kids
- Mary Kaye Huntsman talks: politics, international pressure and Russia
- Anti-mask crowd fills Utah County Commission meeting on mask mandate, meeting abruptly called off
- Utah tourism office unveils three-year plan to keep visitors and money rolling in
- Murray woman spends 2 hours a day feeding up to 150 feral cats
- Maria Shriver wants us all to stop scrolling and to start talking
- WATCH: Backcountry sledder captures avalanche in Summit County, Utah
- Abandoned sacred places around the world
- Utah Capitol executive director, Allyson Gamble, dies at 52