JUAB COUNTY — The Juab County Sheriff’s Department says a 42-year-old man is in custody, accused of criminal homicide, after the discovery of a body believed to be that of a missing woman.
Investigators say Cody Young and his girlfriend, 64-year-old Jan Pearson-Jenkins of Sandy, went camping on October 4th. The next day, Pearson-Jenkins’ brother, Jace Pearson, says he received a text message from Young, stating they had an argument and he had left the woman in the Silver City/Eureka area.
Sandy police started investigating the case as a missing persons’ case after the family called them on October 8th. The police notified the Juab County Sheriff’s Office, who found the body of a nude woman a week later, a mile from the campsite where Young and Pearson-Jenkins had been.
Investigators say they found Cody Young 45 miles away, in Yuba State Park, arresting him after he was questioned by detectives.
The body of the woman who was found has not been positively identified, but the Sheriff’s department says it’s likely that of Pearson-Jenkins. The state medical examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine an official cause of death.
Formal charges against Young are expected later today.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Live Mic: lessons of 1968’s RFK Appalachia visit still echo today
- What Are You Getting Your Neighbors and Friends for the Holidays? Mason Jar Gifts Might Just…
- Internet exploitation of children is on the rise
- Arrests made in likely murder of missing Kearns woman
- Elder Oaks reiterates opposition to same-sex marriage
- President Nelson promises next church conference will be different
- Sen. Mike Lee at CPAC: The left hates the Bill of Rights
- Snapchat Dysmorphia: How selfie filters are driving the demand for plastic surgery
- TSA finds seven guns in seven days at Salt Lake International Airport