SALT LAKE CITY — The investigation continues after Metro Gang Force officers shot and killed a suspect overnight in downtown Salt Lake.
One witness told KSL that he thought the gunshots were fireworks.
“There were about six police officers in what appeared to be plain clothes, all with their guns drawn on this black, two-door sedan,” he said.
The Metro Gang Unit says it tracked a parolee and known felon to apartments near 450 East 300 South in downtown Salt Lake.
Saratoga Springs Police Chief Andrew Burton says his officer, and a Unified Police officer, opened fire.
“They located him and they began to follow him,” Burton said. “They followed him to this location. They were attempting to apprehend him at some point along the way.”
One officer needed treatment at a hospital.
The suspect has been identified as Andrey Tkachenko from Salt Lake City.
Unified Police Sergeant Melody Gray says, “Andrey was wanted by the Metro Gang Unit for theft of vehicles, as well as fleeing.”
Police are interviewing two women who were in the car when the confrontation between Tkachenko and police began. Plus, physical evidence was found int he alley.
“There was a handgun found at the scene. We don’t know the details as to if it was fired,” Gray says.
(Contributing: Paul Nelson)
Today’s Top Stories
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Courage Reins
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Write-in candidate requests a list mailed to voters, naming write-in candidates
- Grace Struiksma – Channing Hall Charter School
- Some Utah Jazz players’ heights shrunk a bit
- Death of Steve Powell removes a lingering hope in Susan Powell case
- African Gray parrot still missing – Bluffdale owners offer reward