SALT LAKE CITY — Mid-terms elections are historically known for a dismal voter turnout. On average, only 40-percent of voters who show up for the ‘main event’ elections, turn in a ballot in the off-years. But the voter registration volume has increased 1000 percent from the 2014 mid-terms and Democrats appear to be leading the charge.
Hinckley Institute of Politics Director, Morgan Cotti believes leftover emotions from the 2016 election and a number of citizens’ initiatives are fueling the increased number of voter registrations. So far, the typically more liberal voters are outpacing more conservative voter registrations by 3.1 percent in Utah.
But Republicans aren’t sitting on their laurels, Cotti says.
“While those opposed to President Donald Trump are deciding to be more engaged, those people excited by Trump are anxious to continue to support him,” she points out.
The state’s lieutenant governor, who oversees elections in Utah, has also been urging Utahns to register to vote.
Utah’s pioneers would be ashamed. Make them proud – register to vote. pic.twitter.com/9sdsuZ4iHj
— Vote Utah (@ElectionsUtah) October 24, 2018
According to state voter registration data, Republicans added 5.6 percent to its rolls over the 2016 election cycle. Democrat rolls increased 15 percent. However, Utah’s status as a “red” state – leaning heavily Republican – is not in doubt, as registered Republicans outnumber Democrats in Utah by more than three to one.
The United States Election Project shows Utah will have 2,081,767 eligible voters for the 2018 election. Of those eligible voters, 756,136 are registered as GOP and 200,000 as Democrat.
Today’s Top Stories
- United Angels Foundation
- Earthquake in Utah causes chemical spill at Kennecott plant, but no danger to public health
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Homeless man filmed shaving on train, mocked on Twitter
- Elizabeth Smart reveals details of assault, and what she’s doing about it
- Movie theater operators hope ‘Tom and Jerry’ gives the industry a much needed boost
- Ingenuity Mars helicopter: The historic journey to fly on another planet
- More women are outearning their husbands than ever – but we aren’t willing to…
- FBI Confidential: Human trafficking may be happening in your local park