Trump has decided to send 5,000 troops on a temporary deployment to the border in an effort to harden border security with the expected arrival of a migrant caravan. I think that this is more of an effort by the president to rally his base right before the midterm election more than a serious effort to protect our borders.
I know this because the Caravan isn’t expected to arrive at the border for another 45 days. I mean they’re still almost 1,000 miles out so the chances are that the caravan is going to arrive after the troops leave. I’m all for protecting our borders but we ought to consider whether the President is doing for actual policy reasons or because the election is a week away is trying to fire up his base to counteract a potential blue wave.
Jay Mcfarland hosts the JayMac News Show as well as the fictional podcast, Hosts of Eden. KSL Newsradio is part of Bonneville Media and based in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Family confirms remains found at Daybell home are missing children
- 17 Latter-day Saint temples to reopen for sealings on Monday
- Judge rules Chad Daybell should face trial in case of missing kids
- Volunteers of America
- Ford recalls 2 million vehicles because the doors could open while driving
- Anti-mask crowd fills Utah County Commission meeting on mask mandate, meeting abruptly called off
- Meat monopoly: Utah AG concerned about possible meat price-fixing
- Five bars temporarily closed for violating COVID-19 health orders
- ‘Diesel Brothers’ ordered to pay $850k for violating Clean Air Act
- Fireworks are legal through July 5th in Utah, but not everywhere