SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah GOP says a text sent by The Independent Republicans of Utah could be a Federal Elections Violation. And they promised to look in to it today.
The mass text was sent yesterday while many people were in church. It reads “The Independent Republicans of Utah want you to know: you won’t be excommunicated for voting for Dem Ben McAdams-he’s the best Republican in the race.”
The McAdams campaign immediately issued a statement saying the text did not come from them and that “as and active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the Mayor respects the Church’s long-standing neutrality in political races and would never imply their involvement.”
Mia Love tweeted this response to the text from IRU:
Just when I thought this election cycle couldn’t get worse, my 15 year old who can’t even vote got this while at church. This is inappropriate. pic.twitter.com/CtF2lCJC7p
— Mia Love (@MiaBLove) November 4, 2018
Information on the group “The Independent Republicans of Utah” could not be found on-line and it’s not known if the motive of the text was to try to increase votes for Ben McAdams or to cast his campaign in a negative light.
Mail in ballots must be postmarked by today, November 5th. Or you can vote in person Tuesday, November 6th.
Visit vote.utah.gov for more information.
Today’s Top Stories
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?
- FBI Confidential: Human trafficking may be happening in your local park
- What is coronavirus and Covid-19? An explainer
- Child poverty in Utah is down from last year
- The Best Family RV Vacations in Utah: 3 Fun RV Trip Planning Ideas for Your Next Summer Adventure
- Motherhood, family size increasing in U.S.
- Starbucks has officially abandoned straws for sippy cup lids … well, mostly
- ‘He changed my life’: Afghan pilot remembers Major Brent Taylor
- Tara Francyk-Wells – West Jordan Elementary
- How does the Electoral College work?