NORTH OGDEN — The Utah National Guard is expecting the body of fallen North Ogden Mayor Maj. Brent Taylor to be returned to Utah early next week.
Major Taylor’s commanding officer, Utah National Guard Maj. Gen. Jeff Burton is heartbroken by Taylor’s loss, but grateful to be able to provide support to those who will miss him most.
“Very happy that we could be with the family,” says Burton. “They’re remarkable and holding up very well considering.”
Burton flew with Maj. Taylor’s body back from Afghanistan. Burton feels there’s something sacred about returning a fallen service member to U.S. soil.
“To see that casket come off that plane, it was painful, yet, for his wife, I think it was in a sense healing to have him back here,” Burton explains.
North Ogden city officials say there will be a vigil outside the Taylor home Wednesday night for those who knew him best.
Funeral details are still in the planning.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Gunman who killed U. student tried to kidnap witness, police say
- Another 4.4 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits last week
- What makes soda so addictive?
- Connect KSL to your Amazon Echo Device
- A dancing cockatoo named Snowball learned 14 moves all by himself
- Wasatch Adaptive Sports
- Legal expert says insanity defense not likely for Grantsville teen
- Inside a coronavirus hospital in Italy, doctors warn: get ready
- Rare Nike ‘Moon Shoe’ up for auction at Sotheby’s could fetch $160,000